The purpose of the Callan Method is to make the students as active in the learning process as possible, thus helping them make the best of their available time.
The teacher and the student have different roles.
- The teacher’s role:
- The teacher speaks constantly during the lesson. He/she asks scripted questions from a book. Each question focuses on a particular word, expression or grammar point.
- The teacher asks the questions twice, in case the student does not understand it the first time. However, the second time the teacher asks the question, he will speak a little faster. The teacher questions the students randomly.
- The teacher elicits the answer – giving the beginning of the sentence (2 or 3 words). That helps the student to speak immediately without translating or thinking about the vocabulary or grammar.
- The teacher corrects all grammatical and pronunciation mistakes.
- The student’s role:
- When you are asked a question, you must give a complete answer using the structure of the question.
- You are expected to use contractions. They are fundamental in everyday speech.
The Callan Method teaches the vocabulary and grammar of the English language in a systematic way, relying heavily on revision. The lessons include a great deal of speaking practice and listening skills, as well as reading and writing, so that you can revise and consolidate what you have learned.
With the Callan Method, the teacher speaks quickly so that you can learn to understand the English language at its natural speed.
The Callan Method can teach the English language in a quarter of the time necessary in any other method. Instead of the 350 hours normally needed for an average student to reach the level of the Cambridge Preliminary English Test (PET), the Callan Method can take only 80 hours, and only 160 hours in the case of the Cambridge First Certificate in English (FCE).
The method is suitable for students of all nationalities and ages.
It is a fact that people learn better by listening and speaking, and the rhythm of the Callan lessons makes it possible for the students to be immersed in the language. Repetition relies upon memory skills, while constant revision of the vocabulary already learned stimulates precision.
Questions, answers and constant repetition are the basis of the method. This method for learning a language is recommended by educational psychologists. The student can rely on the years of planning which perfected the Callan Method.
What makes the method enjoyable for students is its highly structured nature. Everything comes in its right place, which means that the students do not waste time dealing with the complexities for which they aren’t ready yet. The Callan Method lessons make it possible for students to be active; the atmosphere is relaxed and, therefore, the student learns better and more quickly.
Don't worry. Send us a letter or, more easy, an email filling out the form below: